Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Arlington Cemetery, Part III

So, I mentioned in my previous post that I had many more pictures of Arlington, and I could not help but share some more here. In the interest of avoiding the confusion of my last post, however, I will list descriptions first, then add the pictures.

#1 A grave from the 1880's, when things were a bit more free-form at Arlington. The man's age suggests (31 at the outbreak of the war) that he served in the Civil War.

#2 The garden outside of Arlington House is ringed with Civil War graves, mostly men who died in the last two years of the war.

#3 The north side of General Crook's marker, with a Major's grave from the same era right in front of it.

#4 I very nearly stepped on G.V.H., pictured here. About a half-dozen similar markers were scattered on the hill leading up to Arlington House. Yet another example of the different styles of grave that were acceptable in the early days of the cemetery.

#5 These were three Revolutionary War veterans whose remains were moved to Arlington by the Daughters of the American Revolution.

#6 Here, among the largest swath of Civil War graves that I found in the cemetery, were the graves of George Washington Parke Custis and Mary L. Custis. G.W.P. Custis was the adopted son of George Washington who built Arlington House, and Mary was his wife.










No comments:

Post a Comment